Thursday, August 20, 2015

Cosmonaut


The latest illustration has a little different style. I've been pushing to let my line work stand out more. I had a feeling the fully rendered style I have been using had a really overworked feeling to it. I think the lines keep it more fresh and overall it is faster. Below you can see a lineup showing the steps to get there. First a rough with pencil and paper, then i move to digital making that really light and tracing over it while adding a rough digital drawing fleshing out much of the detail. Then a second pass again tracing the last but with clean finish lines, then the color work.


5 comments:

cp gysen said...

this image has inspired a friend and i to write a story... if youre interested we'll send it to you when we're done.

very nice work

David Malan said...

Yes, of course I would be interested to hear the story. Funny how I was inspired to paint this based of a excerpt from a story. Full circle, huh?
Thanks

Unknown said...

Really love this style you're trying out here. I've been experimenting with more cell-shaded styles and really appreciate the increase in speed.

Citizeness Journalist said...

This is wonderful David!

Roby said...

Great work Dave! Love the expression on the young girl, glad you kept her tom boyish. Found you while surfing other digital artists.
Roby